Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Getting Carded (Again)

In May I posted an account about getting carded for using my own credit card. I thought it was a quaint experience that wouldn't really ever come up again. That it was a fluke. I was wrong. 

This past weekend I ran into a local store to pick up some items. They all got rang through and I swiped my credit card. The cashier handed me the slip to sign and upon getting it back she told me that because the card was in the name of "Joseph" that she would have to get the manager to approve it. Of course, she was assuming that it wasn't my credit card. She never asked me what my name was. She didn't even check to see if the signature I just gave her matched the signature on the card. She immediately went for the most restrictive action based on her assumptions. Of course, she said all of this while staring at my breasts. 
It happened that on that day I wasn't in the mood to play around with people's assumptions. Rather, I just wanted to get through my day with a little hassle as possible. Looking back, I could have allowed the manager to come over and then caused a scene. But that probably wouldn't have pushed this cashier to rethink her assumptions as much as causing her to get defensive because I was creating a scene. Instead, I quickly told her that it was my card and gave her my ID. She quickly and quietly handed me my receipt and told me to have a good day. She then treated the next person in line (my fiend- we were there together) with a great deal of respect and tried not to bring up what had just happened.
Ah, c'est la vie. I guess it doesn't matter where I am- small town Maine or big city Oregon, there are people who just don't get it. Gives me more reason to keep up the effort though!

No comments: