Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Looking For Boots

SO, a couple weeks ago I took a female friend of mine out shopping. We went looking for boots. Rather, I went looking for boots; my friend was there to add to the sales confusion. But not just any boots. I was looking for women's stiletto boots that come up to your knees. You might laugh and ask yourself why I was looking for women's boots...but I ask back, "Why not?" I guess I should also clarify that my purpose wasn't really in getting the boot (although that would be a positive addition to my day if I did). I was going to see the reaction of the stores I shopped in.

First, I went to the shoe section of Filenes. I asked the salesperson for a specific boot in my size.When he came back from checking he said that Filenes didn't have any in the size asked for. I might add that he told that to my female friend. The salesperson then asked several other questions and offered other options; again, all directed at my friend even though I was the one answering the questions. I left bootless and even more interested in how the next place would react.

Next, I went to The Shoe Dept. While there I found a boot I was interested in and found a size just smaller than mine. A sales attendant walked by the aisle I was sitting in while trying to squeeze into the boot. She very quickly shuffled off to somewhere else. While I was still trying to get the boot on, a woman came into the aisle, went for the same type of boot I had and saw me. She huffed, looked disgusted and left the store. Again, I left without a boot.

Last, I went into Famous Footwear and asked to be directed to the boots I wanted. The two attendants were there alone and were very helpful in getting me to the aisle I needed. While I looked at the boots and tried on a couple pairs, my friend wandered around looking at sneakers. I could audibly hear the two attendants across the store whispering about me. They checked in on me once and then returned to their corner where a fresh round of giggles and whispers could be heard coming from. As I left I commented  to my friend about my disappointment in not finding the boot I wanted. Of course, I said it loud enough to be heard by the attendants and again I heard the murmers of their gossip as I walked out the door.

In the end, I didn't find the boots I wanted (at least not that fit me) but I did find that so many people are so uncomfortable with anything outside the ordinary. Why should it cause embarassment for someone when another person other than a woman tries on women's boots?

No comments: